Planet Computers is proceeding to develop some exemplary physical keyboard smartphones with the announcement of its modern flagship, the crowdfunded Astro Slide. It’s a smartphone with amazingly sturdy features, but the most notable thing is its capability to be used either as a conventional 6.53-inch touchscreen smartphone or as a PDA. Here is what you need to know about Planet Computers’ Astro Slide.
Astro Slide is the first 5G smartphone with a keyboard and is the most high-speed 5G device proclaimed till now. Astro’s revolutionary RockUp™ slider hinge converts the robust 6.53″ touchscreen smartphone into a mini laptop, using Planet’s signature substantial backlit keyboard.
Planet Computers’ Astro Slide
Whether a smartphone or PDA, the Astro Slide works much convincing. It carries Android 10 and will have dual-boot Linux capacity down the road. Within, there’s a MediaTek Dimensity 1000 chipset with built-in 5G with “twice the performance of other 5G chipsets with significantly reduced power consumption,” the firm announced. It further offers a 48-megapixel rear camera, a front selfie camera, 6GB of RAM, an eSIM slot (on top of two nano-SIM slots) and 128GB of storage expandable via a MicroSD slot.
We are thoroughly welcoming the endowment of 5G and Wi-Fi 6, and we chose to go “all-in” – we opted for the most agile 5G processor available, presenting the final 5G experience on the Astro. To have a smartphone that can change into a pocket computer with single thumb action is really a leap in usability and performance – exceptional for both work and play.
Astro Slide is the first of Planet’s transformer smartphones with a big 6.53” touchscreen display. Starring Planet’s revolutionary trademarked RockUp slider hinge, Astro Slide unveils Planet’s signature keyboard at the push of a thumb.
Astro Slide is the most active 5G device to be revealed to date. Powered by MediaTek’s Dimensity 1000 chipset with 8 super-fast cores plus advanced GPU and APU processors, it gives twice the performance of other 5G chipsets with remarkably reduced power consumption, delivering download speeds of up to 4.7 Gb/s with dual 5G modems.
Astro Slide also highlights Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, BLE Audio and NFC communications and wireless charging. Astro has a 48-megapixel rear-facing camera as well as a front camera for video calling.
Planet Computers is no newcomer to this style factor, having produced many similar PDA-inspired smartphones in recent years — including the Gemini. The company has pinned a March 2021 release date for the Astro Slide at an expected price of $491.
- Dimensions: 16.4(W) x 7.66cm(D) x 1.5(H)cm
- Weight: Approx. 300g
- SIM: Dual nanoSIM + eSIM chip
- Display: Colour FHD+ (20 : 9)
- Size: 6.53 inch
- Resolution: 2340x1080, 395 ppi
- Multi-Touch: Yes
- Protection: Scratch resistant glass
- Platform: Android 10 OS , Linux OS compatible
- Chipset: MediaTek Dimensity 1000, MT6889 Octa-core 5G SoC
- CPU: 4x A77 @ 2.6GHz, 256KB L2, 4x A55 @ 2.0GHz, 128KB L2 2MB L3
- GPU: ARM G77 9-Core, Manhattan 3.0: 120fps
- APU: 3rd Generation, 6-Core, Total of 4.5 TOPS
- RAM: 6GB – Ultra-fast 4-channel LPDD4x
- Card Slot: microSD
- Internal: 128 GB
- Camera: Rear Camera 48MP + Flash, Front Camera 5MP
- WLAN: Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth: v5.1, BLE Audio
- GPS: AGPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo, Band L1 + L5 GNSS
- FM Radio: Yes
- USB: 2x USB Type C, OTG support, Display Port support (via adapter cable)